Wednesday, December 29, 2010

GIVE WHAT´S LEFT OF ME AWAY

Somone wrote to the OSLIST about her father´s death... Peggy Holman answered with this piece.

"I come late to offering condolences on your father's passing. When my mother died, someone, I don't remember who, gave me a poem that moved me.  I hope you find solace in it.
Peggy"

GIVE WHAT'S LEFT OF ME AWAY

When I die
Remember me with a smile and laughter.
If thoughts of me provoke no love,
Only sadness and tears,
I ask that I be soon forgotten.

Give what's left of me away
To children and old men who wait to die.
And if you must cry, cry for your brother
Who walks in grief beside you.
And when you need me,
Put your arms around anyone,
And give them what you need to give me.

I want to leave you something.
Something better than words or sounds.
Look for me in the people I've known or loved,
Or helped in some special way.
And if you cannot give me away,
Let me live in your eyes for awhile,
As well as in your mind.
You can love me most
By letting love live
Within the circle of your arms
Embracing the frightened ones.

Love doesn't die, people do.
So when all that's left of me is love,
Give me away.

            -- Jack Link

No comments:

Post a Comment